Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Flora Expo

It was a beautiful day out, so I decided to add a bright splash of color to the office with this psuedo-psychedelic floral print T-shirt from Mango. I got it in Manhattan two summers ago when I lived in Union Square, New York, within walking distance of SoHo (which was an exceedingly dangerous setup for my bank account). I'm making an effort to explore the various neighborhoods of Chicago, some of which are quite fashionable, but I still don't think there is anywhere else in the country that is quite as chaotically soothing - or soothingly chaotic, depending on how you think of it - as that stroll (READ: frantic hustle) down Broadway south of Houston ("How-ston," as my friend patiently explained to me on the phone). (On a sidenote, I am VERY excited that TopShop is opening on Michigan Ave. in Chicago this summer/fall. I just hope that it opens while I'm still in Chicago, though I'm sure my parents are hoping for just the opposite...)

Because this top is so loud, I definitely had to keep the rest of the outfit understated. For some reason - maybe because the shirt had so much personality - I felt that a pencil skirt wouldn't do it justice, it just somehow wouldn't contain the loudness of the shirt. Instead, I paired it with this flowy, A-Line skirt that was my mother's in college. When my mom was in college, she was TINY. My hands could probably fit around her waist. (Kind of gross, if you really think about it ... Okay, now stop thinking about my mother's waist, please.) I love this skirt, but I definitely have to wear it high-waisted because the waist is so incredibly small. The good thing, I guess, is that the waistline is the only constricting part about it - this skirt is exactly one of those that flares out when you twirl around. When it lies flat, it makes the most beautiful hourglass shape - even if you don't have one! They really just don't make em like this anymore!

Top: Mango | Skirt: Hand-me-down (mother's)

No comments:

Post a Comment