Tuesday, June 14, 2011

All Tied Up

With training in full swing, I opted for a comfortable mix-and-match ensemble with a fitted pencil skirt, blouse, and simple cardigan with tiny chiffon ruffles. The blouse is light-colored and airy - perfect for the summer both. I wanted to add something extra to my outfit, though - I knew that, with a gray cardigan and a black pencil skirt, my color palette was a little dark for the summer season. I'm a big fan of bows and ribbons, so I found a white sash that I usually use for belting purposes, and I made a loose bow. It brings the outfit together a bit like a tie, but it's much more free-flowing - not to mention feminine! - than an actual tie.

The blouse I'm wearing actually comes with a necktie in the same color and fabric, but the tie is much thinner and shorter. It made a tighter bow closer to the neck, which had a bit of a severe effect on the outfit - a little too spinster schoolteacher (think rulers as punishment weapons) for my liking. Additionally, by improvising with your own sashes or scarves, you can further mix and match colors and textures.

Additionally, I paired the outfit with platform pumps made in a dark brown suede-ish fabric. Usually people don't recommend brown and black together, and I agree that it's not an optimal combination, but I knew that I was going out for lunch and that I might be walking a bit, and these were my most comfortable pumps. I love the fact that they have a small platform, because I get the height I need (it's tough being short!) without a large degree of elevation of the heel in comparison to the ball of my foot - therefore: less pain.

Blouse: Express | Pencil Skirt: Ann Taylor | Shoes: Ann Taylor Loft | Cardigan: Splendid by Ella Moss | Sash: hand-me-down (mother's)

1 comment:

  1. i'm thinking of pulling the spinster schoolteacher look on first day of class! thoughts?

    ReplyDelete