Tuesday, June 28, 2011

these rules were made to be broken

The weather out today was so beautiful, I couldn't help but take advantage of it by dressing in happy pastels! When people think of pastels, they usually think light blue, a silky lavender, or maybe a pale yellow. Easter colors, basically. This pale, pastel green is so fresh, and the soft ruffles complement the color. The cardigan is made of a light, silky knit material, so it was comfortable and not too bulky, leading to a polished office look. When buying a cardigan for the office, make sure to check the fabric to make sure that it's not scratchy and that it doesn't pill easily (those annoying little furballs that crop up on some cardigans ... yes, I know the cardigan might look GREAT in the store, but I've seen one girl's mustard-yellow cardigan end up in little wool balls all across her black dress. Unless you're okay with carrying around a lintroller at all times, stay away!)

I knew that, if paired with other complicated pieces, the ruffles on the cardigan could be a bit overpowering and frilly, so I went for a simple and crisp rest of the outfit with a white pencil skirt and white tank top. Dressing monochromatically also makes you look taller. It presents a cohesiveness and elongation based on the repeating colors. You can simulate this effect by just throwing a cardigan over a full shift dress or, in my case today, wearing a simple skirt and matching tank top or T-shirt in the same color.

I paired this outfit with a pair of pale pink pointy-toed kitten heels. Because this pencil skirt is just a little bit on the shorter side, I didn't want heels that were too high. I usually say that the skirt should not be more than one inch above the knees, but there can be some give. For example, if you're short, you can get away with a bit of a higher hemline, as sometimes skirts that hit exactly at the knees look a bit dowdy on you. For taller girls, on the other hand, sometimes even an inch above the knees is too short. Because your basically have more physical leg that is showing because you're taller to begin with (damn you), be very mindful of your hemline, and it's best to stick as close to the knees as possible.

There can be some give and take with the shoe pairings, as well - for instance, in the case of my outfit today, my skirt was a bit on the shorter side, so I offset it with smaller heels. If I had a skirt that hit a bit lower (right at the knees), I might have opted for higher heels. I usually say 2-3 inches is an appropriate height for the workplace, maybe 3.5 inches. However, as always, read the signals from your own office. In my office, for example, I've seen many a women who have sported the 4-inch stiletto in a tasteful way. I even bought a pair of 4-inch heels for myself (!). So, while I used to hold steadfastly to the 3.5-inch-and-below-only rule, my perceptions are changing based on what I've seen to work for others in my office setting. I think that, as long as you wear them like a businesswoman and not a stripper, you can get away with it. This is achieved by being especially conscious of not pairing it with skirts that are slightly shorter (even by a centimeter!) or tight clothing. I *do* hold steadfastly to the 4-inch rule, though ... any heels that are more than 4 inches belongs in the Red Light District, not Wall Street.

Cardigan: Ann Taylor | Skirt: Banana Republic | Tank top: Banana Republic | Kitten Heels: Cole Haan

No comments:

Post a Comment