Sunday, June 12, 2011

Classification

So. I've decided to start a blog. Why? I'm not travelling anywhere particularly interesting, like some people I know (example: http://zekemoves.tumblr.com/), nor am I particularly artsy (http://youngclaws.wordpress.com/), philosophical, creative, etc. etc. Instead, I'm spending the summer interning at the job of my dreams in the wonderful city of Chicago.

One of the things I'm most excited about when it comes to internships (other than the great learning experiences I'm hopefully going to get and the people I am going to meet, etc. etc.) is the opportunity to dress for work. While some people grimace - either with disgust or in fear - at the thought of dressing in business attire, I've always enjoyed dressing for a work occasion, whether it's a full-on suit with shiny pumps or a more casual (but still sharp) outfit for a regular day at the office. It's a strange passion, I know. For those of you who grimace with disgust : I can't help you. But for you who hear "business attire" and shudder with fear because you don't know how to dress for certain business occasions or because business attire seems just so boring, I hope to show you that dressing in business attire can be both easy and fun. Even if you have to wear a suit to work doesn't mean you have to lose some of your personality when dressing yourself in the morning.

Most of my wardrobe is drawn from three sources: (1) normal women's midrange clothing stores that you will find at pretty much any shopping mall in America, including but not limited to: Banana Republic, The Limited, Ann Taylor/Loft, J. Crew, and sometimes Talbots; (2) vintage or resale/consignment stores; and (3) my mother's college wardrobe. For the most part, everything I own is affordable and reasonably easy to find if you have the right eye and sense of purpose when shopping. Looking good doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune!

I think one of the biggest concerns that people have about dressing in work attire is that it seems inherently cold and devoid of personality, creativity, emotion, etc. (ie., A SOUL). An indoctrination into the corporate machine. But just as our choice in jobs and work lifestyles should reflect who we are as people - our education, our experiences, our values, our passions - the way that we choose to dress should also be such a reflection: The way that we choose to dress is the way that we choose to present ourselves to our bosses, to our colleagues, and to the world. So, if you're going to be a suit, you might as well be a well-tailored one!

Tomorrow is my first day of work, and, as they say, first impressions are everything. Until then, keep it classy, Chicago!

-FGC

No comments:

Post a Comment